[DWJ] Translating DWJ

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:17:16 EDT 2011

Well, the gist comes through rather well - having now read Howl in both
languages, the difference is nowhere near as alarming as it is with Lord of
the Rings, for instance. (Old - infamous - LotR translation, that is, I
haven't read the new one.) At the same time, there are several places where
the translation doesn't quite work, and even a few where it's downright *
wrong*, without any particular reason for it to be wrong. For instance, in
my English version, it says Sophie "should have known Fanny better." In the
Swedish, it says she should have known *Martha* better. A typo, perhaps, but
a few more places like that suggest that the translator thought he was
"correcting" the text. Also, some turns of phrase are quite different in
style - the Swedish version is more slangy in a number of places.

With the other books I've read in both languages, it's been years between
readings, so I can't make an easy comparison. And a few - Archer's Goon,
Power of Three, and A Tale of Time City - I've still only read in Swedish.
(I know, shame on me. But it's darned hard to prioritize buying books I
already own, and I've never cared much for AToTC. Though maybe that's to do
with the translation, who knows?)

Most of her books, though, haven't been translated at all, the more's the
pity. And I still cannot understand why on EARTH they translated The Merlin
Conspiracy but not Deep Secret.

Katarina