[DWJ] Impress of first book? (was Homeward Bounders)

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:10:18 EDT 2011

I came to Jones as an adult reader. The first book I read was *Archer's Goon
*, and I fell in love with the surprising twists she built into that
book. It's still the one I suggest reading first to people, though I
introduce my students to *Howl's Moving Castle *because it can fit in with a
fairytale course syllabus. (Sadly, I rarely find a student who already knows
Jones, though I have, on occasion..

**Then I found *Fire and Hemlock*, which happened to coincide with my
academic work at that time (working on retellings of the Tam Lin ballad), so
it was the first DWJ book I really grappled with analytically, as opposed to
simply reading for enjoyment. (Some of you may say that you don't divide
your reading in such a way, but then, I'm an academic, and besides, I do
think that some of her books lend themselves to simply enjoying the ride,
while others, such as *Hexwood,* almost beg for deconstructing to figure out
just what she was trying to say.)

But I have to admit, I don't really care for the Dalemark Quartet--and
couldn't even finish *Drowned Ammet,* much to my chagrin. And, I've found I
don't really get into her short stories, either. DWJ was best at the long
haul, where she could indulge her complex sense of fun and surprise.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University