[DWJ] Impress of first book? (was Homeward Bounders)

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Thu Apr 14 06:51:20 EDT 2011

Thanks to everyone who has written in so far on this question.  It would seem that whether the first DWJ makes a lifelong impression depends on which one it is. In the meantime, I am enjoying all the reading narratives.  I can't remember why I stopped reading Drowned Ammet, but it is probably because my own life is so stressful--often in a good way, but still--that I can't take as much conflict in narratives as others.  And a child having to take on too much responsibility with serious outcomes sounds too close to my own childhood.

There ought to be a service for readers like me, somewhere you could write in to say, "I don't want to read past page 106. Are the protagonists going to be all right?"  On the other hand, I've begun talking myself through the text, saying things like, "These are the main characters. They are probably going to be okay in three pages."  And they usually are.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037