[DWJ] Homeward Bounders

A.M. Winslow debrisoftheages at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:58:34 EDT 2011

The Homeward Bounders was actually the first of DWJ's books that I read.  I was about twelve at the time, and writing a (horrifically bad) novel about a character who traveled to different parallel worlds (I was fairly obsessed with quantum physics at the time, a phase which quickly left me).  I was also a very lonely person.  My sister had recommended a DWJ book -- Charmed Life, I think -- but the only one I could find at the bookstore was the Homeward Bounders.  I bought it -- and absolutely devoured it.  It was, in my opinion, the perfect book -- exactly the book I wanted to have written in place of my horrific one, if only I had the skill.  There's something in that book which has always touched me on a level none of the others have; I felt like I had a personal connection to the protagonist -- which is depressing, I guess -- or would be, except that I'm not longer either twelve or desperately lonely.