[DWJ] Diana honoured in the April Showers challenge on the Archive of Our Own

Isabel Yap yap.isabel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 00:54:18 EDT 2011

Hi there,

Just wanted to share that I asked DWJ what she thought about fanfiction in a
letter I wrote her in 2008.  I was even gutsy enough to put in one of my
Howl's Moving Castle fanfics; it was an embarrassing thing to do,
considering the fact that it was *DWJ*, but at that time I was just thinking
that if *I* was a writer, I would love to read some fanfic from a fan (if it
was appropriate, of course).  She replied a few months later with a
beautiful letter which included these encouraging words:

"Some writers have begun that way, Robert Holdstock for one.  My feeling
about fan writing is that once a book is published it is in the public
domain and is there for people to treat it as they want.  If they want to
base their writing on the characters in it, then they should.  It is not for
me to object.  I hope this answers your question."

So I think fic writers have her blessing somehow.  I look forward to reading
others DWJ fics too!  I've always thought her fandoms needed more fanwork
love.  :)

Best,
Isabel