[DWJ] Remembering Diana Wynne Jones

Elizabeth Bentley ebentleysln at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:12:01 EDT 2011

Apologies for cross-posting

I have asked St Peter's Hospice in Bristol to set up a "Tribute Fund" in memory of Diana. So if anyone wishes to contribute to express their appreciation and love for Diana Wynne Jones, either as a person or as a writer, they will be able do so. I'm not sure how long the administration for the Fund will take to set up, but will let you know as soon as it has been done.

A quote from one of her close friends:

"That hospice *is* a very good place, in many senses of the word "good":
they really do care about the people who have come to them for help.
The garden is peaceful and beautiful, the rooms are full of air and
light and warmth, and the people who work there are genuinely kind, and
don't ever seem to bully their patients in the way that alas too many
hospital workers do, probably unintentionally and because they don't
have time to take more trouble and have more patience.

When I was visiting Diana there a few days after she first came in, I
arrived when she was having her supper; not only was there a little
posy of flowers in a vase sitting on the tray, she had been given a
small glass of what she told me gleefully was "really rather good
sherry" by a lady who came round just before the meal to see whether
she would like a little drink for an aperitif.

I think they thoroughly deserve support, for treating people in
extremis as still people, not just "the patient"."

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bentley BA MCLIP
Librarian
CILIP's School Libraries Group national committee
mailto:ebentleysln at googlemail.com

SLN (School Librarians' Network): To subscribe send a blank email to:
mailto:sln-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
To send a message write to : sln at yahoogroups.com