[DWJ] On a completely different topic, Winnie the Pooh in Lima Peru

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Thu Oct 14 16:32:45 EDT 2010

The story of the regimental bear is well attested.  Ann Thwaite's admirable THE BRILLIANT CAREER OF WINNIE-THE-POOH ("Winnie as in Winnipeg") reports that the  female bear was purchased for twenty dollars by Lt. Harry Colebourn, who was attached to Canadian Army Veterinary Corps. A hunter had killed Winnie's mother. Winnie became a mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade to which Coleburn was apparently also attached, and when the brigade was ordered to France, Coleburn left the bear at the London Zoo.  He later (1919) gave the bear to the Zoo, where she lived happily until her death in 1934 Thwaite (34-35).  Brian Sibley's THREE CHEERS FOR POOH provides even more information (36-40).

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037