[DWJ] On a completely different topic, Winnie the Pooh in Lima Peru

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 11:51:56 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "jstallcup" <jstallcup at juno.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>

> Is there, or is there not, a statue of Winnie the Pooh in Lima Peru?
> Mention of such a status is all over the internet, but I can't find a
> single image of it or any reference to it that suggests someone has
> actually seen it.

Google Books has a trivia book from 1979 that mentions this "fact" (which I
too am inclined to doubt). David Louis (pseudonym for David Carroll), _More
Fascinating Facts_, Ridge Press/Random House, 1979, p. 108.

I'm told [note: this thing I was told could itself be in error!!!] that lots
of reference books have at least one deliberate error in order to track
plagiarism ("interesting fact" books are frequently plagiarized to some
extent -- people almost never go to the trouble of finding out large
quantities of interesting facts for themselves, but copy other people's
lists). Or maybe the author thought what the hell, I'll just make something
up and see if people believe it. I can see it would be a great temptation.
Mrs. Gaskell's elephant, and all that (there was a foofaraw some years back
on the Victoria listserv when some lighthearted people, beginning with the
author Michel Faber, started kidding each other about Mrs. Gaskell having
had a pet elephant -- which, let me be completely clear, was an utter
invention of that moment -- and others took them literally and were rather
annoyed to find they had inadvertantly been gulled).

Helen Schinske