[DWJ] On a completely different topic, Winnie the Pooh in Lima Peru

jstallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Wed Oct 13 20:10:29 EDT 2010

This is not a dwj question, but something that has been bugging me for
several years now, and I'm hoping that someone here will have been to
Lima (or perhaps even lives in Lima?) and can tell me.

Is there, or is there not, a statue of Winnie the Pooh in Lima Peru?
Mention of such a status is all over the internet, but I can't find a
single image of it or any reference to it that suggests someone has
actually seen it.  it seems to be an internet ghost:  something that has
been repeated over and over without verification.  It's a topic that I
assign for a kind of "scavenger hunt" assignment in the graduate
bibliography course that I teach, and no one has yet been able to solve
this.  (By solving it, I mean finding concrete confirmation that it
exists).  One student tracked the statement to its apparent source in a
document from around 1997 or 1998, but other than that... nothing.

I suppose I could call the Lima tourist bureau... come to think of it,
maybe I will.

And yes, I realize that it would make perfect sense to have a statue of
Paddington Bear in Lima Peru, but no one has been able to turn up one of
those either.

ObDWJ?  Can't think of one.  err....  I suppose it is possible that this
is a bit of information that has slipped into World 12 (aren't we world
12?) from World 11?  That would explain why I can't actually find an
image of it...

Jackie