[DWJ] DWJ sighting - okay, it's from 2005

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 08:43:31 EDT 2010

from March 2005 - a list of 100 favorite fictional characters

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-100-favourite-fictional-characters-as-chosen-by-100-literary-luminaries-526971.html

Emma

Chosen by Diana Wynne Jones (Conrad's Fate)

Jane Austen's Emma is so very human. She is always plunging into such
embarrassing mistakes - and yet they're the mistakes one longs to make oneself,
like telling the tediously garrulous Miss Bates to shut up. And, bless her, she
is truly ashamed when she does, because she is actually very nice. Nicer than I
am by a long way.

Esther here.  I don't remember if anybody posted this at the time....