[DWJ] Flower fund

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Thu May 20 08:02:58 EDT 2010

Hmm, this is a tricky one. If she hasn't read Lily Archer's *The Poisoned
Apples*, I would recommend that because the author cites DWJ as one of her
favourite authors. It's not fantasy, though, it's YA with a bit of a
chicklit touch.

When it comes to obscure fantasy, I pretty much have to resort to Swedish
books to find something she MAY not have read:

Maria Gripe is an excellent author who is sadly not much translated, and the
translations that exist are only available used. :-( Still, I do
recommend *Agnes
Cecilia* and *The Glass-Blower's Children*.

Pija Lindenbaum writes picture books, but bloody brilliant picture books. *When
Owen's Mom Breathed Fire* is suitably surreal, as is *Bridget and the Grey
Wolves*.

Our national icon Astrid Lindgren dipped her toe into fantasy from time to
time; my favourite is *Ronia the Robber's Daughter*.

And of course there's Selma Lagerlöf. Hmmm... *The Wonderful Adventures of
Nils* is, truth be told, not all that good. (Compared to other books of
hers; it's still great for a geography textbook.) *The Emperor of Portugalia
* is fantastic but depressing. *The Treasure* and *Gösta Berling* are both
inbetweens; could work.

Can't think of anything more right now, will think again once I'm off work.
Although, I do notice that the Norwegian comic books about *Nemi* is now
available in English - not fantasy, but definitely a fantasy fan.

Katta