[DWJ] Flower fund

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu May 20 07:31:49 EDT 2010

Thanks for the initiative, Charlie!

I think your instincts are very good, with the picture and that.

The tough thing about recommending books for Diana is finding something she hasn't read, and how would we know?

Listing some books here that remind me of DWJ's style, off the top of my head, not including obvious choices she's probably read like Garth Nix and Philip Reeve:

* If she hasn't read books by Frances Hardinge then she really should - all three of them: "Fly by Night", "Verdigris Deep" (aka "Well Witched") and "Gullstruck Island" (aka "The Lost Conspiracy"). Three very very different books, each brilliant in its own way.

* "Dragon Slippers" by Jessica Day George is a fun read, it has two sequels, almost as good. I found the sense of humor to be DWJ-ish, I think she would like the dragons in these books.

* "Transformation" by Carol Berg is gripping, and the way she writes about slavery reminded me a bit of "Hexwood" etc.

* "White Cat" by Holly Black is new and interesting, the world reminded me a bit of "Witch Week" and it had a very DWJish theme of characters not quite knowing themselves.

* "Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers, convoluted time travel in historical London with magic thrown in, too clever by half.