[DWJ] Diana's health

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat May 15 07:47:55 EDT 2010

Diana has authorised me to pass on to the list what she was told on
Wednesday

As you all know by now she developed a secondary cancer from her
original tumour seven years ago.  Last year she had an operation to
remove that, which had settled in her lung and was causing her great
pain; this year she has been undergoing courses of chemotherapy for
further secondaries that started to appear late last year after that one
had been removed.

This chemotherapy has had no apparent effect on the cancers, and has not
prevented more from occuring, and she and her husband have now decided,
after discussion with a senior oncologist at the Bristol Royal Infirmary
and a consultation at the Royal Marsden, to discontinue treatment.

The senior person in Bristol has opined that this means she has months
rather than years of life left to her.  Diana is determined that she can
prove this opinion wrong.

As a result of ceasing the chemo a couple of weeks ago she already feels
a lot less ill, and is regaining her sense of smell and of taste.  She
is working on a book (about half-way through, she says) and has another
lined up waiting when she finishes this one.

Personally I am hoping that she may yet outlive me!

All crossed fingers and so on would be very acceptable, says Diana.

Minnow