[DWJ] Greetings - Enchanted Glass (minor spoiler)

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Sun May 9 12:39:56 EDT 2010

deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> other parts of it made me wince. Do people want to talk about
> those things, or would we rather keep the list more focused on
> the positive? I'm happy either way.

I'll de-lurk to say I think we should discuss the problems too.  I
wasn't aware of any reluctance that way, actually!

(Actually, I loved the book.  I've just read it again, and I think
there's strong connections with Time of the Ghost, which I have
therefore also just re-read.)

When reading the book for the second (or maybe third) time, I had a
total DWJ moment.  I sponsor a little girl in Haiti through the
ActionAid charity; her name is Dania.  When I was reading the book,
there'd recently been a nasty earthquake in Haiti, and I was actually
interrupted at my reading by a phone call from ActionAid to say that the
area where Dania lived was not badly affected, and they thought she was
all right.

Trouble was, the man on the phone kept calling her "Diana".  And the
passage I was reading was where Andrew was visiting the foster home, and
everyone was getting Aidan's name wrong.

I wonder if it's significant that Dania is not only an anagram of Diana,
but also of Aidan...

Philip.