[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

A.M. Winslow debrisoftheages at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 12:35:06 EDT 2010

But of what possible relevance to English is the Hebrew pronunciation?

Honestly?  Not a whole lot.  I agree that regular names which are also in English (such as Sarah) should just be pronounced the English way.  It's when you're reading all those more obscure names in the Old Testament that a pronunciation guide comes more in handy.  As a theology student, this comes up rather a lot for me.  I could read "Joshua" and even "Nehemiah" fine, but Achan, Merathaim, Kohathite, and Jahleel (and even Michal) and such are a little trickier, and Shuthelah, Zelophehad, Almon Diblathaim, and Jotbatha are more fun still.  When you have to read them out loud and keep them straight, being able to at least guess at a pronunciation helps.

~Anna