[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Jun 9 06:05:44 EDT 2010

On 09/06/10 08:30, Colin Fine wrote:

> [As I think I've remarked on this list before, several years ago, I was
> delighted when I discovered that Ahasuerus and Xerxes are the same name
> - and the same person. One through Hebrew and Latin, and the other
> through Greek. ]

ObDWJ: You mean Esther's husband, right, not the Wandering Jew?

Wikipedia says, "At least from the seventeenth century the name Ahasver
has been given to the Wandering Jew, apparently adapted from Ahasuerus,
the Persian king in Esther, who was not a Jew, and whose very name among
medieval Jews was an exemplum of a fool."  Which clears up my confusion
as to whether he was really called that or whether DWJ made it up.

	Eleanor