[DWJ] Classical pronunciation

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 04:56:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Colin Fine <colin at fine.me.uk> wrote:
> Ah, yes, the English mangling of classical names.

And then there's Legal French which is (deliberately and officially)
pronounced with the English pronounciation.

Early at uni I was trying to juggle modern English usage, medieval
English, a smattering of Icelandic, a German major, an evening course
in French, Legal English, modern 'plain English' Legal English, Legal
Latin which (due to 'plain English' wasn't actually *taught* but was
used) and Legal French.

(I did, however, have a Legal Philosophy lecturer who would set Terry
Pratchett as part of the official readings and let us write essays on
To Kill a Mockingbird.)