[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Colin Fine colin at fine.me.uk
Wed Jun 9 03:30:42 EDT 2010

A.M. Winslow wrote:
> On Biblical pronunciations -- for the Old/ Hebrew testament.
> I took Hebrew for a year. :)  Here's a pointer: in Hebrew, the accent is most frequently on the last syllable.  Therefore "Deborah" is "de-vor-AH" and Sarah is "Sah-RAH." The 'a' sounds are soft.  Saul's daughter's name is "Mi-CHAL" (the 'ch' is in the back of your throat, like in German or Scottish) NOT "MI-chael," which is how some people pronounce it.

But of what possible relevance to English is the Hebrew pronunciation?

[As I think I've remarked on this list before, several years ago, I was
delighted when I discovered that Ahasuerus and Xerxes are the same name
- and the same person. One through Hebrew and Latin, and the other
through Greek. ]

Colin