[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Jun 9 00:38:50 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Eleanor Joslin wrote:

> How about the character in _Hogfather_ whose name is Teatime?
> He insists that it's pronounced "Teh-ah-tim-eh", but I can't
> pronounce it that way in my head, and I don't think I'm intended to.
> How do the audio and TV versions handle it, and do they manage
> to preserve the joke?
>
> 	Eleanor

Sir Pterry makes the point very early -- at Teatime's first
appearance -- that almost everybody except Teatime says
'teatime'. In the book, it is usually spelled teh-ah-tim-eh
when it's being pronounced that way. Death, in particular,
says it that way.

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there
is no hope for it.

                                          - A. Einstein