[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Jun 9 00:32:07 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Colin Fine wrote:

> On which subject, how do people pronounce the name of Cosmo's
> sister Pucci in "Making Money"? I've always made it Italian (Poochy)
> but I've got a feeling I'm missing a joke.

'Poochy' is how I pronounce it, and, I may say, how Stephen Briggs
pronounces it in the unabridged recording.

>> The difference someone remarked upon about the way British
>> and American English deal with four syllable words can be very
>> striking as well. I had a small conniption fit over 'migratory'
>> being pronounced mi-GRATE-er-y, but then I'm a birder and
>> use the word a fair amount. But I'm used to it now.

> An interesting case where we actually use a slightly different word
> rather than just a different pronunciation is "acclimate" vs
> "acclimatise".

I'm not sure who's who here.  I would accept either, possible in
slightly
different circumstances, but as an American I would spell it
acclimatize.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

                                         - Napoleon Bonaparte