[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Claire Gourlay imperfectcadence at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:43:02 EDT 2010

That depends on what sort of Australian accent you have. I'm Australian, and I say "agen."
My lifelong pronunciation error, which I only discovered when I was 17, is "ethereal." For

some reason I've always said "ETH-e-real" instead of "e-THE-real." And it took me forever

to work out how to say "bureau."

The most distressing one was about a month ago when I discovered that Tintagel is actually

pronounced with a soft "g." Not having ever heard it spoken before, I've been pronouncing it

in my mind as "TIN-ta-gel" with a hard "g" for the whole of my life. I'm having trouble getting

used to it!

Claire