[DWJ] Segue

S. Worthen sworthen at owlfish.com
Tue Jun 8 18:42:11 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

> Aside from the Bible, I've also been puzzled by 'segue'. I always
> mentally pronounced this as 'seeg', but it's not,  is it?

	Not usually.  It's pronounced 'segwei' as it comes from Italian via
musical language.

	But what really interests me is that this is the second time in as
many days that I've encountered the pronunciation 'seeg' for it.

	Yesterday, it was an English teacher. I asked her about it: she said
she distinguished between 'seeg' for non-musical contexts, and
'segwei' for musical ones. She knew it couldn't be entirely wrong,
dictionaries aside, because she had heard other people say it that
way (which is, of course, how alternative pronunciations evolve and,
sometimes, become dominant), and anyway, it starts off too much like
"sequential" to stop. And now it had become habit with her.

	Relatedly, an a column on the word: http://www.news-sentinel.com/
apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090317/EDITORIAL/903170325

	Shana