[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 16:28:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Charlie Butler
<charles.hannibal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never had trouble with "'dour", but have to do a double take every time
> I come across "lowering clouds", to remember that it's just an alternative
> spelling of "louring". It doesn't help that nimbus clouds, which are the

I never knew that! But then, when you read aloud, it sounds like
"alluring" clouds.

My mother's American and my father is Australian, so I grew up trying
to placate everyone - calling diapers/nappies "dappies" and spelling
color/colour "coulour". But my sister and I did distance education so
my mother would from time to time call up the school about a task we
had to do to say that the English workbook was wrong, the only word to
choose to rhyme with "rain" was "again" and they didn't sound alike!
To which the teacher would patiently reply, "They do if you're
Australian, Mary".

K.