[DWJ] Words

Tue Jun 8 15:47:49 EDT 2010

Minnow wrote:
I think that the word "mizzle", which has a good and respectable
history, is either a dreary sort of Scotch-mist weather with rain not
quite heavy enough to be drizzle, not light enough to be mist, or else
it is a verb meaning to have it away on one's legs: "Mizzle sharpish!
It's a rozzer!"

The "misled" meaning for it is not in any dictionary I have access to,
including the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.  The 1933 Shorter
Oxford gives the other two: mizzle for slight rain going back to 1483,
mizzle for decamp going back to 1781.

Yes, I was wrong.  It was the verb as in "mizzle sharpish!" - decamp -
that I was thinking of.

Sorry,

Alison

Alison Hendon