[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Colin Fine colin at fine.me.uk
Tue Jun 8 15:32:30 EDT 2010

Otter Perry wrote:

> Or they may just be missing the joke. In the unabridged audiobook
> of Terry Pratchett's _Pyramids_, Nigel Planer manages to pronounce
> Ptraci as puh-TRA-chee, as though it were Italian [or something]
> instead of a joke about the name Tracy.

On which subject, how do people pronounce the name of Cosmo's sister
Pucci in "Making Money"? I've always made it Italian (Poochy) but I've
got a feeling I'm missing a joke.

> The difference someone remarked upon about the way British
> and American English deal with four syllable words can be very
> striking as well. I had a small conniption fit over 'migratory'
> being pronounced mi-GRATE-er-y, but then I'm a birder and
> use the word a fair amount. But I'm used to it now.

An interesting case where we actually use a slightly different word
rather than just a different pronunciation is "acclimate" vs "acclimatise".

Colin