[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 8 14:25:31 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 08 June 2010 19:03:55 liril at gmx.net wrote:

> Also, I used to think for quite
> some time "mutual" meant "without words" - coming from mute... Not a
> pronounciation error, but I was also quite convinced of my version and
> surprised to find out the real meaning.

The first book I read in English was  _The Hobbit_, the summer before I went
to high school and got actual exposure to written English (I could already
speak English). After a chapter or two I did away with the dictionary and
figured out words I didn't know from context-- making me think for *years*
that "carrion birds" meant "a flight of birds".

   Irina

--
Time flies like an arrow. What do time butterflies like?
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi       Latest: 02-Jun-2010