[DWJ] Misled

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 10:54:40 EDT 2010

On 8 June 2010 15:29, Fiona Haggart <fhaggart at gmail.com> wrote:
> doo-er for dour is a very scottish pronunciation  :-)

Indeed, that would be how my maternal family would pronounce it,
mostly being from around Lossiemouth in Moray (the latter being
pronounced "Murray" while we're on the subject ;-)

Scots pronunciations can be the funnest. Listening to non-Scots
newsreaders wrestle with such gems as "Tomintoul" (pronounced
"Tom-in-towel"), "Kirkcudbright" (pronounced "kirr-KOO-bree") and
"Kirkcaldy" (pronounced "kirr-COD-dee") is guaranteed to warm the
cockles of one's heart.

On the gripping hand, my grasp of Welsh is not exactly firm, and I
suspect I would give a Welsh speaker just as muich mirth with my
attempts to pronouce
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ;-)
--
Phil