[DWJ] pronunciations

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 10:02:46 EDT 2010

It actually sounds as though a lot of our problems come from the placement of the accent.  In English, as I remember from school, it is usually on the ante-penultimate syllable, that is, the one before the next to last one. If only two syllables, then on the last one.

It really rattles my brain to hear a horrid radio commercial where, in order to fit the (so-called) music, they say DO-nate.  ARRRGH.

So hy-PER-bol-ee.

And are you aware that you can gruntle things? (Like cats....)  Then there was the fan author who wrote "Spock was vincible..." Yeah, sure.

Devra (putting off work)