[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 01:16:29 EDT 2010

> well, I didn't study German, did I, and
>> no-one thought to tell me that Goethe wasn't pronounced Go-eth. So how was
>> supposed to know, hmm, Andrea Fry? who gave me a hard time about it
>> afterwards?
>>

> My dad loves to tell a similar joke about the pronounciation of Goethe, and
since he's not here I have to do it for him:

Some kid was doing a presentation on Goethe for the class and read from his
sheet: "Go-ethe was a great poet."

"No, no," said the teacher, "it's pronounced Gurte."

"Gurte was a great purt."

Darn inconsistent spelling!

Katta (who still gets pronounciations wrong in Swedish sometimes and in
English aaaaaall the time.)