[DWJ] Word Mishaps

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jun 8 00:09:00 EDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:00 PM, Judith Ridge wrote:

> On 8 June 2010 11:07, Ellen Willcox <eawil3 at email.wm.edu> wrote:
>
>> I had a lot of word mishaps when I was little.
>
> My worst was very public. In Year 10, I was President of our school's
> Student Rep Council. (School only went to Year 10.) As such, I was
> asked to
> MC the school presentation night. When it came to reading out the
> winner of
> the Goethe Prize for German... well, I didn't study German, did I, and
> no-one thought to tell me that Goethe wasn't pronounced Go-eth. So
> how was I
> supposed to know, hmm, Andrea Fry? who gave me a hard time about it
> afterwards?

We moved to Detroit, where there is a street named Goethe.
My sister, who did study German, asked someone for directions
once and drew a total blank. The street name, it turns out, is
pronounced Go'-the to rhyme with go'-see.

I believe I found the missing link between animal
and civilized man.  It is us.

                                -- Konrad Lorenz