[DWJ] Word Mishaps [was "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)]

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:00:33 EDT 2010

On 8 June 2010 11:07, Ellen Willcox <eawil3 at email.wm.edu> wrote:

> I had a lot of word mishaps when I was little.

My worst was very public. In Year 10, I was President of our school's
Student Rep Council. (School only went to Year 10.) As such, I was asked to
MC the school presentation night. When it came to reading out the winner of
the Goethe Prize for German... well, I didn't study German, did I, and
no-one thought to tell me that Goethe wasn't pronounced Go-eth. So how was I
supposed to know, hmm, Andrea Fry? who gave me a hard time about it
afterwards?

I was so embarrassed, the audience actually TITTERED. Horrible.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)