[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Ellen Willcox eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Mon Jun 7 21:07:21 EDT 2010

I had a lot of word mishaps when I was little.  My parents are
artists, and we have a lot of foamcore board around; I didn't think it
was any different from Styrofoam, so for awhile, I thought that
"Styrofoam" was a really really strange way of spelling "foamcore."  I
also remember the English class when one of our spelling words was
"facade," and I was the only one who knew what it was - but, of
course, pronounced it "fake-aid."

I also read enough British books as a child that I used to write
things with the British spellings.  As I'm American, this was "wrong."
 "Gray," not "grey," "plow," not "plough," and fewer double Ls - no
"counsellor" or "traveller."  (My spell check is correcting me even
now!)  I still do this sometimes.  (Arguably, I'm right, and the rest
of America is wrong.  After all, who should get to decide how English
is spelled but the English?)

- Nic