[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Mon Jun 7 20:45:03 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eleanor Joslin" <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

> On 7 Jun 2010, at 20:36, Otter Perry wrote:
>
>> Everybody who reads a lot has words they mispronounce until
>> they hear them spoken by someone else. I think it was Terry
>> Pratchett who thought the word for those nasty monsters
>> was pronounced "o-grees".
>
> Yes.  One of mine was "wholly".  I felt such a wally when I found out.

I felt completly misle-d (pronounced my-zulled, to rhyme with "dry
hulled")over the pronunciation of "misled." And I think it was just a few
years ago that I found out that "merino" is pronounced muh-REE-no and not
MARE-ih-no. One more: I thought "syncope" was pronounced "sin cope," but
it's actually "sin-co-pee."

One of my fifteen-year-old daughters, trying to sound sophisticated, made
casual reference to a gin and tonic a few months ago -- pronouncing "gin" as
in the last syllable of "begin"! Apparently all those Thin Man movies she's
seen (which I refer to as the Gin Man movies because the characters drink so
much) hadn't quite sunk in.

Helen Schinske