[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jun 7 16:04:49 EDT 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Otter Perry wrote:
> Another thing that happens -- mostly to people like children
> and other learners of English -- is
> not connecting the spelling of a word with its pronunciation.

Yes! As a child, I knew that "ballet" and "ballot" were different
kinds of dance, and "beige" and "beej" were different colors.

ObDWJ: How different is the reading experience of _Lives of
Christopher Chant_ for people of different dialects of English,
I wonder? If you have the right pronounciation (not just of the
BIG SPOILERY NAME but of doing the right things to your
constanants in general), I assume it's much less of surprise.

(do we care about spoilers for books that have been out for 22
years? Also, OMG, 22 YEARS.)

-deborah