[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:02:28 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Helen Schinske <hschinske at aol.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't think I would like hanging out with a group of
> people who *never* used a word I didn't know, or who had so much in common
> with me that no reference *ever* had to be explained. There'd be no novelty
> in it. I like the overlap of different specialized circles, cultures,
> whatever you want to call them.

Absolutely - and that wide range of specializations, interests, whatever
they're called, has always been one of the great strengths of this list.
(Not thinking about how ridiculously low the bar would have to be set on the
group that would never use a term I didn't know.)

Since Deborah mentioned the language police, I thought it might be worth
linking to a clip of David Mitchell on a soap box about US grammar and
usage, which I found very funny:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/video/2010/may/20/language-usa .

"Tidbit" even comes in for a mention.

Hallie