[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Jun 7 15:36:43 EDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Jenny Schwartzberg wrote:

> I've loved this thread too because I love learning new words.
> Orthogonal and triblet are fun.  I may not adopt either word
> but I do like knowing them.  I use a lot of uncommon words
> myself since I read so much and use words from my reading
> that seem to be the perfect word for what I'm discussing.
> Of course, that leads to mispronunciation and confusion since
> I don't know how they might be pronounced...  But I do enjoy
> these words!

Everybody who reads a lot has words they mispronounce until
they hear them spoken by someone else. I think it was Terry
Pratchett who thought the word for those nasty monsters
was pronounced "o-grees".

Another thing that happens -- mostly to people like children
and other learners of English -- is
not connecting the spelling of a word with its pronunciation.
For instance, it took me quite a while to figure out that the
word spelled "schedule" was a word I heard regularly.  "Colonel"
was another one. [I was just reading a very interesting tidbit
about why it is that we pronounce "colonel" as "kernel".]

------

I can't say I was ever lost, but I
was bewildered once for three days.

                                 -- Daniel Boone