[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 03:23:56 EDT 2010

If I remember correctly, the earliest meaning of 'right' is the angle
meaning, and our other senses (right vs. wrong, right vs. left) derive
ultimately from that.

But here's the way I picture it, anyway. Imagine a graph in which two
qualities are plotted against each other. In this case, Legality and Number
of Words Borrowed. Because these variables are independent of each other,
the value of (say) legality will be a straight line, orthogonal to its axis.
Like this: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4678122044_96b936d398_o.jpg.

Maybe that's not what's means at all, but that's how I get my head round it.

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk
Blog: http://steepholm.livejournal.com/