[DWJ] "Orthogonal" (orthogonally to T-shirt slogans)

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sun Jun 6 19:22:18 EDT 2010

I mean "right angle" in the sense of 90 degrees runs into my understanding of "right" as "correct," as in "ortho + doxa," or "right opinion."  The best I can do with "orthogonal" is that it is "irrelevant" because "at right angles."  So "right" that it is "irrelevant," which in context is a close synonym for "wrong."

(I'd make a lousy mathematician.)

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi