[DWJ] T-shirt slogans

Chris Dollin eh at electrichedgehog.net
Sun Jun 6 13:13:17 EDT 2010

On Saturday 05 June 2010, Jameela Lares wrote:

I'm neither Deborah or Helen, but:

> Hey, wow to both Deborah and Helen.  I've just never
> heard the word used.  Not once.

Hang out with programmers -- especially hackers (as opposed
to crackers) -- and I suspect you'll find it used routinely.

> But I'm only one
> speaker.  How long have either or you been using the word?

And I've probably been using it since the early 1970s; one
influence was the Algol 68 Report (because they were dead keen
on the idea). But I did do maths, and eneral notions of orthogonality
pop up all over the place.

I wonder what people who don't know the word say in
orthogonal-shaped slots in sentences?

Chris

--
Far-Fetched Hedgehog