[DWJ] T-shirt slogans

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Fri Jun 4 20:20:04 EDT 2010

It would appear that "orthogonal" has only been recently used outside of math and science.  Even hyper-language users like Supreme Court Justices did not recognize it. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/11/AR2010011103690.html + most of the hits I got on google past the first page with math/science.

Either the word will stay in general use or go back to its specialized users.  I rather imagine it will be the latter.  I can't see that "orthogonal" fills any special needs for the general population.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037