[DWJ] T-shirt slogans

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:29:56 EDT 2010

I'm not sure, but I think I'm right, as it's up on Gutenburg and Librivox.
It was published in 1922, and everything published before 1923 or so is by
default public domain, unless certain steps are taken, and according to a
website about it:

http://www.std.com/~raparker/exploring/thewasteland/exlinks.html

The copyright was registered in the United States sometime in 1922.

The copyright gave 28 years of protection plus any additional time to cause
it to expire after midnight on the last day of the year. Thus it was
protected up to and throughout 1950 (1922 + 28).

In 1950 the copyright could be renewed for 28 more years meaning that it
would enter the public domain *in the United States* after the end of 1978
(1950 + 28).

In the United States, the Copyright Act of 1976 extended the renewal from 28
years to 47 years giving The Waste Land protection for 19 more years or
throughout 1997 (1950 + 28 + 19).

On January 1, 1998, The Waste Land went into public domain *in the United
States*.

On October 27, 1998 U.S. public law 105-298 extended renewal of copyrighted
items (that were still under protection) by 20 years.

The Waste Land was, however, already in the public domain *in the United
States* and thus remains in that state.

If The Waste Land was written in 1923 it would be protected for 95 years (28
+ 28 + 19 + 20) plus the remainder of the last calendar year meaning that it
would go into the public domain (in the US) January 1, 2019.

The rules for determining protection of items copyrighted in the U.S. in
1923 and beyond are somewhat complicated. For items originally copyrighted
in 1922 and earlier the rules are clearer; they are in the public domain *in
the United States*.