[DWJ] T-shirt slogans

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:04:06 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 18:47, Philip Belben <philip at axeside.co.uk> wrote:

>> On the copyright issue, ISTR a rule that a quotation of 30 words or less
> requires attribution but not permission or payment.  Does this apply here?

I don't think it's quite that straightforward. Certainly you wouldn't be
able to quote even ten words of a T. S. Eliot poem, for example, without
getting permission from his estate. On the other hand, fair use can cover
much more than 30 in some contexts (e.g. writing an academic artlce and
quoting a novel therein). I'm not sure there's an awful lot of logic in the
arrangements, to be honest.

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk