[DWJ] T-shirt slogans

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:45:54 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 06:41, Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:37:24AM -0500, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> >But!  If someone goes ahead and makes these t-shirts and charges
> >*even break even only costs* you will have breached Diana's copyright.
>
> Copyright violation is orthogonal to charging. There has been for some
> years an informal convention that entirely non-commercial violations are
> not prosecuted, but this is not a precedent in law. (If it were, my
> employer would have a much easier time.)

Indeed, but the moment you start charging even replacement costs, problems
set in.

To the person who asked "what if I do it just for myself?" That's fine,
that's just fandom.

If you start printing up masses of them and giving them away free, you can
still be in trouble as you can be charged with making it impossible for the
owner of copyright to extract value from her copyright. And it would also be
a bit rude, no?

cheers
Farah