[DWJ] Dragon history question

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:06:16 EDT 2010

> Yes, guardian dragons have a thin time of it, overall. The ones set to
> guard
> the Golden Fleece and the garden of the Hesperides come off no better, even
> though they were "only doing their job". But then, a lot of myths of this
> kind - Jason's being a particularly egregious example - seem designed to
> glorify theft.

Theft, murder, cheating... talk about designated heroes!

I'm also rather upset by the wikipedia recounting of St. George. So the
villagers voluntarily started feeding it people rather than sheep (is it
supposed to realize the moral difference?), St. George managed to make it
docile, and while it was in a docile state he killed it. Your way is not
very sportsmanlike, St. George! :-)

Katta