[DWJ] Dragon history question

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:26:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Katarina Hjärpe
<katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com>wrote:

> You know, this comment made me wonder how much of "goodness" attributed to
> fantastical creatures is really old colonialist assumptions - i.e a dragon
> is considered good when it does what humans tell it and doesn't violently
> object to having its treasure stolen. ("This place would be so peaceful if
> rabble-rousing outsiders didn't stir up our "good" subjects, who'd never
> mind being used and oppressed otherwise!")
>
> Katta

That's a theme (as far as I was concerned) of the recent animated film "How
to Train Your Dragon" (which I highly recommend, btw). This is based on a
series of books by the same name by Cressida Cowell - I've not read the
books, so I can't comment on them.

But I loved, loved, loved, loved the movie.

widdy

--
I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey work of the stars . .
.
iriddell at meadville.edu / iwriddell at gmail.com