[DWJ] Dragon history question

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Jul 14 05:03:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:42:39AM +0100, Minnow wrote:

> I have a feeling that the first friendly Western actual dragon was the
> Reluctant one of 1898.  I think it is the earliest I have read, anyhow.

Is it worth distinguishing between "good" dragons and fluffy ones? A
good dragon is still essentially a _dragon_ - it's big and scary and
does things for its own reasons, and if you offend it you are likely to
end up as Barbecued Adventurer, but it works according to rules and
won't eat you if you are polite. A fluffy dragon is a dragon-shaped
magical pony, basically harmless, and thus has lost pretty much all its
draconic nature apart from the physical trappings.

Roger