[DWJ] Dragon history question

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 04:42:39 EDT 2010

Colin Fine wrote suggesting

> Voyage of the Dawn Treader, anyone? (I think I've got the right book)

Right book, but the dragon in that was not at all a good dragon: it had
eaten one of the Lost Lords, and been a thoroughly unpleasant character
before its death.

Eustace was never actually a dragon, because he remained a boy inside
the scaly exterior, and thought as a human being does.  So I would say
his not being so nasty as a dragon proper would have been, or as he
himself had been previously, doesn't count.

The same applies to the Laidly Wyrm: it was an enchanted person, and not
wicked of its own nature in the end.

I have a feeling that the first friendly Western actual dragon was the
Reluctant one of 1898.  I think it is the earliest I have read, anyhow.

Minnow