[DWJ] Dragon history question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Jul 14 02:06:26 EDT 2010

I'm sure there are some friendly dragons in the original Oz books. I'm a bit
rusty on my Oz lore. I think Dorothy and the Wizard have a conversation with
a couple of young dragonettes in  DOROTHY AND THE WIZARD IN OZ (1908) but
these would most certainly have eaten them if their mother had not tied
their tails together behind a stalagtite to keep them from getting in
mischief. Bless the internet, I can link directly to the chapter:
http://www.put.com/oz/dorwoz.html#13.

Then there's a friendlier dragon called Quox who serves as a dragon-carriage
in TIK-TOK OF OZ (1914): http://oz.wikia.com/wiki/Quox

Baum enjoyed playing the iconoclast: take his idea of good witches, in his
days this was almost a sacriligeous concept.

Gili