[DWJ] Daffodils t-shirt

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 15:57:24 EDT 2010

On 13 Jul 2010, at 20:33, Riia Annala <riia.annala at gmail.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me that brown and dead (and in England, wet) is the normal
> state of a daffodil by June ... I don't know if this is what Diana meant,
> though.
>
> Yes. I don't know much about flowers, but I had a notion that daffodils are
> spring flowers (no idea if it's right or wrong). That is why I find the
> quote funny even on it's own. In my mind there is no such thing like
> daffodils in June, so Sophie is wishing for the impossible. It caught my
> attention because the Finnish translator had translated the sentence like
> this: "Olkaa kevään ensi narsisseja" which means be first narcissus of the
> spring. I have no idea why he translated it like that. Is June considered
> spring in UK?

You are quite right - daffodils are spring flowers and are normally seen in March or April. They are very much like narcissi. June is summer here, really - well, this year it definitely was. So it sounds like the Finnish translator didn't quite get the absurdity. I assume it is June in that part of the book. May Day occurs near the beginning, doesn't it?

Eleanor