[DWJ] Daffodils t-shirt

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 13:33:22 EDT 2010

That's a lovely T-shirt, and the colour is just right.  I picture people
who aren't in the know scratching their heads: "How do I be a daffodil?"

I'd forgotten about that line, and I don't have the book here, but
Google pointed me to Deborah's thesis at
http://www.suberic.net/dwj/thesis.txt:

 > Throughout the book, Sophie's magic follows this consistent pattern:
 > whatever she says directly to non-human recipients of her words
 > becomes true.  Even when she states the ridiculous -- telling ferns
 > and lilies to "be daffodils in June, you beastly things" (Howl's,
 > 173) -- it's left unclear whether or not she succeeds.  Though the
 > plants become "wet brown things" (Howl's, 177) as a result of the
 > weed-killer Sophie's inadvertently created, she does refer to them
 > again as "her daffodils" (Howl's, 177).

It occurs to me that brown and dead (and in England, wet) is the normal
state of a daffodil by June ... I don't know if this is what Diana
meant, though.  Anyway, I always liked the notion of Sophie going back
to live in the hat shop when it's completely different on the inside, so
that she can't even reach her old bedroom -- so disorienting, and
indicative of the turmoil she and Howl are living in by this stage of
the story.

I intend to make a T-shirt too, but I'm still deciding what to put on
it.  I was thinking I didn't want to make it too difficult for those not
in the know to appreciate, but maybe I should go for something
absolutely mad, like the daffodils - that's what DWJ's best at, isn't it?

	Eleanor